Thursday 8 March 2012

I've made it!

It was a long journey but everything went well, I made all my connecting flights and arrived at Puerto Princesa, Palawan on Sunday evening.

   I am getting to know the amazing team here and the kids (I can now remember most of their names).
   After a day to rest and recover, I started helping with work in the garden. Kuya Dhong (Kuya, meaning older brother, is said to any man older than me) is in charge of the garden, so I have been working with him and a young man called Johnray. I have to try to stick to the shade when working but the heat does not slow me down as much as I thought it would.
   Tagalog is the language and I have started lessons and am enjoying them. It is nothing like English but I have fun learning to speak It.
   The island is very beautiful and and the jungle is so thick, there are loads of banana and coconut trees. I've seen quite a few small lizards and only one snake, at night the sound of the crickets and the lizards is amazing and really loud but I find it relaxing and have no problem sleeping. 
   Over the next few days I will see some more of the projects and outreaches that go on here.
   I've taken some pictures of the journey and the land around the house where I am staying. Click on the photo to view the album...