Sunday 5 August 2012

Power down

We had a big storm here that lasted a few days until early this week. So for several nights there was no power and no internet until now. There is no landline here so I think the internet works from mobile networks and even the phones have had very little signal recently, so I think the storm must have taken out phone masts.

Next week Katie Kellard leaves with Jenny (her nan) but her brother Josh is here for the next six weeks – I've been looking forward to some more male company.

I passed my Philippines driving test and have been doing a lot of driving which always leaves me tired because the trafic is crazy – there are no rules and everyone just pulls out without looking and weaves in and out of each other. It's dificult... I have to be very alert always looking everywhere but I'm starting to get used to it now.

I am happy here and get along with everyone very well but sometimes I do miss home and feel lonley because it's so hard to understand the conversation in tagalog.

My tagalog is coming along well but sometimes it is very difficult, so I am spending some time twice a week with Louchie (one of the girls) to help me with my learning and prenunciation and that is very helpful.