Wednesday 18 March 2015

Engagement Pamahikan

Big news... well, for me! I am very happy to say that I am now engaged to the beautiful Shiela May Carmaran, who also works at KNA. 

Here in the Philippines culture there is an important meeting of the two families that is an important part of getting engaged. This is called a Pamahikan. My Mum and Dad have just been out here to visit me, so an important date while they were here was our Pamahikan. It involves the two families, especially both sets of parents and the engaged couple. It's a discussion about the wedding and the life of the couple after they are married, it is important in the culture here that this happens for the two families to be happy with the engagement.

After the discussion there is a feast for all family and friends so I met more of Shiela’s family and we all had a great time. It is the responsibility of the guy to provide the feast for the event... I had a pig on the farm for that purpose although it almost escaped while transporting it. But thanks to the guys at the farm, after much chasing around it was caught and moved with no problem. I had my pig spit roasted for the event and that made the centre piece of the feast. 
It was a great day and we are now very happily engaged.

Shiela and I met when I first arrived on Palawan as she was already working for Duncan and Sara. The first year we were just friends and we have been courting for almost two years before the engagement.